We are living in times calling for the power of community - to heal and transform ourselves; to learn and grow together; to laugh and celebrate life with one another; and to collaborate as we create the just and flourishing world we know is possible.
The Art of Community is a 3-day workshop that provides foundational skills and practices for thriving in community at multiple levels - within our daily relationships, families, workplaces, social groups, and society at large. Our curriculum is informed by a wide range of disciplines and research including social and humanistic psychology, anti-oppression and liberation movements, community organizing, emotional & social intelligence, nonviolent communication, leadership development, social permaculture, somatics, restorative justice, conflict resolution, and youth & community development. Our unique synthesis offers a solution set addressing the heart of multiple interconnected challenges we face in society today.
Through experiential activities, group dialogue, personal reflection, embodiment practices, and creative expression, you will:
- Deepen your sense of belonging and community
- Increase your capacity for connection and caring through deep listening, empathy, and vulnerability
- Cultivate emotional intelligence and learn how to navigate difficult feelings, work with our triggers and response patterns, and create greater self-love and compassion
- Identify and transform obstacles to healthy community - systems of power & privilege, stereotypes & biases, microaggressions, and a lack of intercultural awareness
- Learn how to be a powerful ally/accomplice and agent of collective liberation
- Develop communication skills for giving & receiving feedback, calling in vs. calling out, and engaging in conflict resolution
- Expand your ability to collaborate in groups and co-create solutions, art, and projects together
- Explore creative practices for community-care including check-ins, peer counseling, appreciations, acknowledgments, and acts of kindness
- Grow meaningful relationships, lasting partnerships, and beloved community
- Be inspired, uplifted, & rejuvenated
Participants will leave this workshop with a clear set of tools and practices for deepening community in daily life, work, and relationships.
When: Saturday, November 10, 2018 from 9am - 6pm
Sunday, November 11, 2018 from 9am - 6pm
Monday, November 12, 2018 from 9am - 6pm
Cost: $249 - $499 sliding scale for contributing Thrive East Bay members
$349 - $599 sliding scale for general community members
Cost includes training materials, snacks, and refreshments. Participants will need to bring their lunch each day or purchase lunch at a location nearby.
Work Trade & Scholarships: Limited work trade & scholarship opportunities are available. If you are interested, please fill out that section of the registration form.